Wednesday, July 7, 2010

food for the soul...




Nothing better than home made chicken and sweetcorn soup on a cold winters evening and perfect for one little boy sick with sore ears. So a chicken soup was on the to do list today. I just made up my recipe with ingredients that I already had in the refrigerator.

Our made up Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup goes like this:

1 large leek
garlic
2 big blobs of butter
1 small red onion
1 large chicken breast
a little red capscan
a little zucchini
2 corn cobs
Chicken stock

In one large pot sauté the butter and leeks gently with a little fresh garlic.
Once browned add the corn (removed from the cob) and add 2 cups of chicken stock and allow to boil. In a separate saucepan add chicken breast to boiling stock and allow to poach for a couple of minutes in the stock and red onion. Once this was underway I used my hand blender to roughly blend the corn and leek broth. Once the corn and leek was a little smoother I added a handful of zucchini and capsican for colour and goodness.

Once the chicken had been poached and cooled a little I shredded the chicken and place it back into the larger pot along with some of the chicken broth.

I continued to stir and cook for a couple of minutes, just before serving to the 2 hungry boys in my house I placed some Chinese noodles and a handful of flat leaf parsley into the pot.
{I also used some chilli flakes in my husbands bowl - along with a little salt and pepper to taste}
A quick and easy meal and can be adapted with other ingredients, enjoy!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Looks very yummy will have to try this one!

Kristi said...

hope the little feels better. this is such a lovely blog you have here, and thank you for kind words over on my blog.

ps. i love your header photo.